Sunday, July 27, 2008

EASY RECIPE ALERT: Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread

This recipe was originally given to me by Dawn Green. I have since tinkered with it a bit and am pretty please with it right now.

4 cups of milk with a splash or two of lemon juice to buttermilk it up. Leave that off to the side
1 1/2 cups oatmeal flakes
1 cube o' butter, soft
9 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp yeast

3 cups bread flour OR if you want to be like me, 1 1/2 cups wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups bread flour

(NOW dump in the milk)

Mix that crap up.

Now add

2 cups bread flour

Mix

1 cup bread flour

Mix

1 cup bread flour

Mix for 7 minutes

Toss all of this into a greased bowl and let it rise for 1- 1 1/2 hours

grease up 3 bread pans, preheat the oven to 350 degrees

split into 3 loaves and let sit for 20ish minutes

Bake until golden brown (usually about 30 min)

Chow Down!

Total cost:

Milk (I get it on sale) $.75
Salt, Yeast, I also get on sale so $.25
Butter again on sale for $1 a 4 pack so $.25
Oatmeal I get in bulk for $15 for a 25lb bag so maybe $.10
Sugar and bread flour I get in 25lb bags also so $.60 for both
(not perfect math there, but you get the picture)

Total for 3 yummy loaves: $2.95

No comments: